One of my favorite things to do in my free time (ha ha) is read magazines! And one of my favorite parts of magazines is when they show you what is worth the splurge and what is not worth the splurge! So I thought I would share what I think is worth the splurge and things I would rather go cheap on! But you must tell me what you would save and splurge on!
One item I will not skimp on is hair products. I blame this on my mother who got us hooked on all these nice products when we were still living at home :) (love ya mom) Besides that my sister does hair and tells me how BAD all the cheap stuff is! See I can justify anything!
*Ok so some other items I will not splurge on is scrapbooking stuff because every week either Jo-Anns or Hobby Lobby has stuff on sale. I usually will not buy it unless it is on sale or I have a coupon!
*I usually will not splurge on clothes. Since I work in retail (well about 5 times a year :) I know how quick everything goes on sale. I will buy nice brands but I will hardly ever pay full price for it. I also love garage sales, thrift stores, and of course Marshalls and TJMaxx!
Ok so now it is your turn people tell me what your scoop is!

6 comments:
Haha...I used Kenra hairspray in high school. I didn't know they still make it. I miss that smell.
Ok...things I don't splurge on. I'm not nearly as much of a girlie girl as you are. That means that haircare products and makeup are low on my list. I usually buy whatever shampoo is on sale at Target. I've tried the $ store, but am often disappointed. I do have one type of gel I like for my curls. Um, yeah, I use Rimmel mascara, $2/tube:) It's one of the few, surprisingly enough, that doesn't irritate my eyes.
Splurge items.....if I'm going to buy something I'll use a long time, I'll buy the higher quality option. I've done some backpacking and love to travel. The right type of luggage and good shoes are a must. Last summer when I went to Africa, I had so little space, so I wanted a pair of sandals that were nice enough to wear with a skirt, sturdy enough for a 5 mile walk if needed, and still laid back enough to wear to the beach. Can one really find ONE pair of shoes for every occasion over 3 months? I did. A pair of double strapped Chacos. They're NOT CHEAP! I loved them every time I wore them, my feet never hurt, and I still wear them all the time. I also have a very nice hiking backpack and lightweight sleeping bag. Depending on the type of travelling you'll be doing, you just can't beat having the right bag or suitcase. I'll shop around to find the best deal, but I also look for specific features and typically won't compromise on what I'm looking for.
Well, I guess this was more of a post than a comment. Oops! That's a tough question to answer in only a few words. Sorry-O!
This is a great post, Nicole.
I agree about the hair products and splurge on them as well. Not so much with make-up, but I haven't tried the product you listed either...maybe I shouldn't. :)
I'm cheap on clothes and shoes except running shoes.
I will splurge on healthier foods like meats, snacks & bread.
I'm cheap on accessories like jewlery & purses. A few of my purses came from a garage sale and when I do purchase jewlery it's always on clearance.
It seems crazy to comment...because it seems like I am just a copy cat of Sherri. I splurge on almost all the same things....except health food and running shoes. Then again, maybe I should. I am the same as you girls...I splurge on hair products. And getting my hair colored. Because it just makes me feel so special and pampered.
I go back and forth with clothes. It seems like when I go cheap on clothes...it shows. Before long the cheap ones don't last and I replace before I get tired of them. But I love to find name brands at resales and garage sales. I think gap always lasts, and washes well.
I go cheap on furniture and home decor.
Splurge when it comes to garage sales....does that make sense? When there's a good one, I stock up and splurge because if the sizes are right for my kids I want to save the $.
I could really have made a whole post on the last garage sale I went to.....oh la la....lots of cute jewerly and clothes in my size. :) But haven't got to it yet.
Thanks for your encouraging words on my last post. I appreciated your encouragement!!
Love your post!!! Great ideas :-) We try to save every where possible being that we are now a one income family. :-)
I don't do super well with coupons, but a lot of the food coupons are for items we don't purchase - not fans of canned/boxed foods (except for cereal).
One thing that has seemed to help us in the food area is being part of a little "supper club." Me and two friends cook meals for each others families. Therefore, I have been only needing to cook supper about 1 to 2 times a week. Monday and Tuesday we get supper cooked for us. Wednesday we eat leftovers. Thursday I cook for our family plus 2 other families. Friday and Saturday we finish up the leftovers. It has been a great time saver for me -- I am not a big fan of trying to decide what to cook and then buying all the ingredients!
Hi Nicole!! Thank you so much for the very kind comment on my blog. It really meant a lot to me to hear from you and to know that you are enjoying it!
I also love making new "blog friends"!! It's always fun to know who is reading my blog so that I can, in turn, check theirs out too!!!
I loved this post because it really made me think about what I do splurge on!!! I do not splurge on hair products because I have a sister that does hair and I tend to get good products at a fairly good price (but I DO use good products...she would NOT be happy if I used the cheap stuff either). I also am addicted to TJ Maxx and Marshalls, so I don't splurge on clothing. Hmmmm...I guess I do splurge on occasional items for my home (I am currently looking at an amazing Christmas tree that would be a major splurge). I also like to have lots of "perks" in my vehicle (leather seats, navigation system, etc), so I splurge on the upgrades there. I'm sure there is more, but quite honestly I am a pretty frugal girl!!!
Great to "meet" you and thanks again for the comment!!
Jamie
Oops...I wasn't logged in when I commented so you couldn't link back...sorry!!
Just in case you were confused, I am Jamie from The Blissfully Happy Housewife!!!
Post a Comment